- Official name: Republic of Estonia
- National Day: Independence Day, February 24
- Official language: Estonian
- Head of the State: the President
- National legislature: the Riigikogu, unicameral parliament of 101 members.
- Executive power: exercised by the Government, headed by the Prime Minister.
- Highest judicial power: Supreme Court
- Currency: euro (€)
- NATO member state since 29 March 2004.
- European Union member state since 1 May 2004.
Estonia is one of the three Baltic States covering an area of 45,227 square kilometres. Situated on the north-eastern edge of the Baltic Sea, Estonia borders Latvia to the south and the Russian Federation to the east. Estonia’s population is approximately 1.3 million (2013).
The capital of Estonia is Tallinn. The nordic-medieval Tallinn near the Baltic Sea that has excellent connections with Helsinki, Stockholm and St Petersburg and is also one of the world’s smartest cities. The second largest city and the centre of Southern Estonia is Tartu. The city has always been knows as the intellectual capital of Estonia. It is the cradle of the Estonian Song Festival, Estonian Theatre and the Estonian State.
Estonia boasts a long tradition of providing quality education. Its vibrant and international education and research environment, endowed with the latest developments in information technology makes Estonia an attractive place for people looking to work and study abroad. A top quality which unites Estonians is a reverence for science and technology.
Learn more about Estonia:
- Destination Estonia – Moving to another country can be a little challenging. Finding out where to live, how to manage with the necessary paperwork, where to go out and how to get by in general, usually takes a little research. To welcome all the newcomers and help them settle in smoothly, Estonian Investment Agency has published this special handbook. Read the online book in Finnish here and in Russian here.
- An International Researcher’s Guide to Estonia – Guidelines for arranging employment and work formalities and for managing the practical matters of your everyday life in Estonia